After his speech at the Plek launch in January, it was time for our friend Peter Haan’s own scoop: at an impressively well-organised event in Utrecht last week, he presented the findings of his study into internal social media usage in 76 mostly big Dutch companies and organisations.
Rik wrote an article about these findings and the event for Frankwatching, but it is in Dutch. So here some key points:
- Half of the organisations in the study did not have any targets for their internal social media program, or measured its usage.
- In 70% of cases, the Communications department was in charge, rather than the business units themselves.
- Three out of four uses Yammer in some capacity, but only one in six actually pays for it.
- In 20% of organisations LinkedIn and Facebook are used for internal communications.
- Only 10% of respondents had integrated social media in work processes.
Conclusion: lots of organisations – or rather: their Communications departments – are experimenting with internal social media, but very few have embedded it into their business yet. We’re itching to tap this rich opportunity!